Friday, June 10, 2011

Vernacular - Learning the Language

ver•nac•u•lar

Pronunciation: \ ver-nak-yuh-ler, vuh-nak-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin vernācul ( us ) household, domestic, native
Date: 1623
1. the native speech or language of a place.
2. the language or vocabulary peculiar to a class or profession.
3. the plain variety of language in everyday use by ordinary people.

When Jacob first said he had to go to MEPS, I wasn’t the only one who was confused. My housemate, a former marine, did not know what it stood for. Of course, in my odd brain, one of the things that came to mind was Beaker, the Muppet character who only says “meeps” (MEPS is pronounced with a short vowel /e/).

Military Entrance Processing Station – MEPS – is a nondescript building not far from the Portland Airport. No matter what branch of the military you are joining you process through this facility. Entrance tests, medical exams, orientations, all take place here. All recruits also sign their contacts and swear in at MEPS. So I am learning the language.

Jacob was one of seven Air Force recruits to leave on Tuesday. The day was stereotypical in many ways (hurry up and wait). Family needed to arrive before 8:00 a.m. to witness the swearing in ceremony. I of course was there just after 7. It gave me the opportunity to meet the other Air Force recruits since the swearing in didn’t happen until 10:30 a.m.

The teacher in me kicked in as well. One recruit was having a very difficult time remembering the Air Force Core Values. In that moment I said “ISE” (pronounced “ice’). He smiled and said I think that I can remember.
Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence in All We Do

There is a lot more for me to learn. I have time, however – six years to learn Air Force speak. Today I am very thankful for my first phone call from Jacob. He sounded great – describing “zero” week, knowing that the next weeks will be harder. No care packages allowed, but letters are welcome. I finally have something to do – and I can stop carrying my phone into the bathroom with me.

What Worked for Me Today
Having the phone at my side!

Minutia
Watch Beaker sing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAtBki0PsC0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpcUxwpOQ_A
He’s actually using words in the one below – a Cold Play song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phyg_uIPQII&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment