Saturday, April 3, 2010

Cudgel - Today's Right Thing

cudgel
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cudgeled or cudgelled; cudgel•ing or cudgel•ling\ˈkəj-liŋ, ˈkə-jə-\
Date: 1596
: to beat with or as if with a cudgel
— cudgel one's brains : to think hard (as for a solution to a problem)

I have been waking with a headache nearly every morning for the past two weeks. The glass of wine, the lack of sleep, not drinking enough water or perhaps allergies I have never had, have been the reasons I have chosen. Though they all may contribute, it is more likely simply that my body is shouting, “help!”

There are dreams to contend with. Last night they were tapes replaying emotional events from the past. There are issues to face in the daylight as well.

In Al anon, as in every twelve-step program, there are slogans that seem overly simple. However, there is wisdom and experience behind every one. The two that I cling to this week are “Do the next right thing,” and “Leave the results to your higher power.” I don’t necessarily want to do the first and I have a very hard time practicing the second.

Today, (One day at a time) the next right thing is flip my mattress, do the laundry, and let myself have fun with the children that are coming over to dye Easter eggs. Monday’s “right thing” will be different, but I don’t have to think about that today. Time to give the brain a rest.

What Worked for Me Today
Reading Al anon Daily Readers and Excedrin

Minutia
There are 12 step programs for everything. First step is the hardest “I am powerless over (insert noun) and my life has become unmanageable.”
http://www.oregonal-anon.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_twelve-step_groups

No comments:

Post a Comment