Sunday, September 12, 2010

Utterance - Been Here Before

ut·ter·ance    
Pronuciation: /ˈʌtərəns/
Function: noun
Etymology: from Middle French outrance, from outrer to go beyond
Date: 1450
1. an act of uttering; vocal expression.
2. manner of speaking; power of speaking: His very utterance was spellbinding.
3. something uttered; a word or words uttered; a cry, animal's call, or the like.

archaic : the last extremity : bitter end

Scroll back to March 26, 2010 for the genesis and reasons for the blog along with my start and stop efforts at writing. Three months from my last post, I begin again.

In most religious walks, there are precepts against careless talk. You find these warnings in Hebrew Scripture, the New Testament, the Quran and Buddhist sayings. Governments adopt the same - such as warning people of careless talk in World War II, lest our men be in danger. "Loose Lips Sink Ships!"

We have seen how careless talk inflames hatred and misunderstanding on global scales. This week alone, the world focused on the words of a man in Florida who threatened to burn Qurans (I personally have a hard time giving him the title pastor). Presidents and Generals pleaded with him. His threats were carried round the world.

That's the global nature of utterances - but this blog is particularly personal. It has been a week in which asking questions has gotten me into trouble. I have been there before. However, given that I was trying to be circumspect, professional and extremely judicious in my choice of words and timing I was truly taken aback.

What responsibility does the "hearer" have to the "questioner"? If there is a concern, shouldn't clarification questions follow? Understanding one another blends art and skill. Seeking to understand and to be understood is at times a difficult, but essential, process.

It is a struggle I have even here. How do I frame debate and discussion? How do I present a case so that it is clearly understood, but not careless or gossipy?

Whether personal or professional, the art of conversation conversation, continues to be fraught with pitfalls. However, for this importunate and loquacious woman, it is still a great deal of fun.

What Worked for Me Today
Early Morning Workout - yes I have succumb to those who preach that exercise DOES ACTUALLY directly affect my mood in a positive way.

Breakfast with a Friend - that whole "talking" thing.

Minutia
Funny Animals on You Tube brought me to a page by "Janhuh." Check out his music.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Janhuh

Join the Snail Mail Brigade
A number of my friends and I are going "old school" and committing to hand writing a letter, note or card each week and sending it "Snail Mail." Wouldn't you like to receive a note? Start with sending one of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment