Friday, May 21, 2010

Palimpsest - Depth of Layers

pa•limp•sest
Pronunciation: \ˈpa-ləm(p)-ˌsest, pə-ˈlim(p)-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin palimpsestus, from Greek palimpsēstos scraped again, from palin + psēn to rub, scrape; akin to Sanskrit psāti, babhasti he chews
Date: 1825
1 : writing material (as a parchment or tablet) used one or more times after earlier writing has been erased
2 : something having usually diverse layers or aspects apparent beneath the surface

For me, there is an inherent fascination about the way people think. It is one of the reasons I ask so many questions. I am constantly searching for the layers underneath.

A simple example stems from the fact that my friend David was colorblind. When I first found this out I was constantly pointing to things and asking what color he saw. I would ask him if he could tell the difference in shades. He was patient with me, but now that I think back, it must have been maddening. However, I desperately wanted to know how he literally saw the world.

Another example is my conversations with a relatively new friend who has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder as well as being bi-polar. Asking questions about his reality, his perceptions, and his beliefs without judgment has been fascinating. I have had opportunity to do this prior to his new medication regime and after. It has been instructive and thought provoking, and admittedly at times frustrating.

On a broader plane, I am news junky with a heavy emphasis on politics. Having been a public relations and political campaign developer, I have never lost the taste for the process. Campaigns are like Broadway shows. You rehearse, pour in money, advertise, and hope that an audience shows up. You may open in a small venue first and wait for the reviews. However, it is all preparation for that opening night on Broadway. Do you wake to rave reviews or close the doors before the next performance? Politics is theatre and I find it extremely amusing and at times maddening.

On a smaller scale, contract negotiations can be seen as an elaborate fencing bout with rules and referees. Each side parries and makes points. Someone keeps score and there is seldom if ever a tie. The interplay, the posturing, the game is practically codified before the first session begins.

David once used this blog’s topic word to describe me: palimpsest. It’s a theme that seems to be reoccurring lately. I will have to think on that to distill the lesson.

What Worked for Me Today
30 minutes of interval training on the elliptical machine – then weight lifting. (Going for the buns of aluminum!)

Minutia
If you are of a faith that reads the Bible, a great place to visit for reflection is Sacred Space. It is hosted by Irish Jesuits and presents prayers, a Bible passage, and suggestions for reflection. http://sacredspace.ie/

I have also found the daily reflections from Hazelden (the rehab folk) very helpful. These are daily readings sent to your email. Though some selections are directed at the AA folks, many are simply reflections to provoke thought many could find helpful. You can wander around various meditations or sign up for daily emails.
http://www.hazelden.org/web/public/thought.view

No comments:

Post a Comment