Saturday, June 8, 2013

Pedetentous ~ one day at a time



Pedetentous

Pronunciation \Ped`e*ten"tous\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin - foot + stretch out
1.proceededing step by step
2. advancing cautiously

Endrometriod adenocarcinoma. It is important to me that I say the words out loud.  I face them without hushed tones or fear. It is the next journey I get to take.  

There are moments.  Printing out the cancer insurance form was one.  The font is minuscule and two pages long... all except the 40 point header that states "Cancer Claim" in bold print.  Really? As if i don't know that this is the form i down loaded.

Or for some reason stopping in the middle of my session with my trainer and breathing through some tears.

Both places. Both times. There was someone to hold my hand, touch me, and just be with me.

Yet for the most part, I feel blessed.  Yes, I have cancer and I feel blessed. I am surrounded by friends who laugh with me and hold me and pray for me. I have the most incredible team of doctors who have jumped on things with speed, expertise and kindness. And of course I have Kate and Jared and Jacob - a blend of support that compliments each other and meets differing needs.

No guarantees here though.  Some days will be harder than others.  The two lessons I already know that are on the syllabus are learning how to ask for help and accepting that I am loved. I am sure there will be others.

"Team Karen"  That's what my friend and colleague has decided to call all us.  This is my part.



No comments:

Post a Comment