Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Esemplastic - Some Things are Elusive

es•em•plas•tic
Pronunciation: \ˌe-ˌsem-ˈplas-tik, -səm-\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Greek es hen into one + English plastic
Date: 1817
: shaping or having the power to shape disparate things into a unified whole

We are more than the sum of our parts. This is true as individuals, as workers, as friends, as churches, volunteer organizations or as families. I have always found strength in people. I am inspired by small children overcoming much to learn, to grow, to love. I am energized by those individuals who go beyond their job descriptions and give of themselves, their time, their money and their hearts. I am humbled and grateful for my own children whose kindness and generosity is effortless and without condition.

There is a sense of collective sadness in so many things today. There is little that is truly unified, either professionally or personally. There are so many voices and yet so little understanding. I spoke with someone today, sharing that it is very difficult for me since losing the one person who truly understood me. I have lost the person whom I could “black board” my ideas, my experiences, my feelings, my frustrations, my joys - all the little ups and downs that make up a day. There was trust and confidentiality and a great deal of patience and flexibility. We weren’t afraid to acknowledge our failures because there was no judgment.

I have learned that this is rare. However, I am so thankful that I often told him of his importance to me before he died. I continue to be comforted by remembering the times he told me of my value.

Today, it is difficult when people view me by my seemingly disparate parts rather than my unified whole. It is painful to be misunderstood. Yet, it is not crippling, not as it used to be. It’s unfortunate, but it doesn’t cloud my vision for myself, for my work, for my future. I am not without hope. For I continue to learn that perhaps, David was right.

What Worked for Me Today
Dinner alone in the park, next to the stream, under the tall trees.

Minutia
Having read the excellent book “Blue Like Jazz” by Donald Miller, I am reading his book “Through Painted Deserts.” Will let you know if it is as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment