Thursday, May 20, 2010

Hypnagogic - Simple Gifts

hyp•na•go•gic
\ˌhip-nə-ˈgä-jik, -ˈgō-\
Function: adjective
Etymology: French hypnagogique, from Greek hypn- + -agōgos leading, inducing, from agein to lead —
Date: 1886
: of, relating to, or occurring in the period of drowsiness immediately preceding sleep



Sleep. I have used it to avoid conflict, silence the never-ending ruminations, isolate, or simply give in to the inordinate weight of sadness that wears upon a body.

Or I have struggled to fall asleep. I have tried to displace the thoughts with music, NPR audio books and relaxation technique... They all work, at first. Then I would wake every couple of hours to try again.

So, it is with great pleasure and mild surprise that I realized today that I have sleeping. I have been falling asleep relatively quickly and staying asleep. This is a gift. A simple pure gift. I like going to bed sleepy. I still have quiet speaker tapes playing on the IPod, but I seldom last but a few minutes. There are still times when I wake thinking, as if I never went to sleep. However, I sleep. I sleep more nights than I don’t.

What Worked for Me Today
Dinner out with friends. Testing each other with trivia. Laughter and good-natured self-deprecation on everyone’s part.

Minutia
For some internet fun, or a way to make a quick poster or card visit
http://www.wordle.net/create

Paste in any text (Declaration of Independence – Shakespeare Poem – Even my blog). Hit go and watch the words turn into a “word cloud.”

No comments:

Post a Comment