Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Cacophony - Looking For Solutions

ca•coph•o•ny
Pronunciation: \-nē\
Function: noun
Date: circa 1656
: harsh or discordant sound 2; specifically : harshness in the sound of words or phrases


Over the past few weeks, there have been many discussions within my professional circle about the need for change. Some very good ideas out there have percolated up. Those looking for solutions are asking, “How do you change systems or procedures that are no longer effective? How do you foster a climate of collegial support so that positive systems and procedures are followed with fidelity?”

Unfortunately, lately the question has boiled down to “how does anything happen if all we do is talk?”

There are many things that can be improved, but none really by complaining. I read an article on the Huffington Post by Richard Bishop that asked some basic questions. “What do you hope to get by complaining? How does complaining make things different? What would have to be true for the complaints to go away? What would I have to risk in order to get what I wanted, for the complaining to go away? What step could you take no matter how small?”

That’s my challenge tonight. Bishop states “Complaints are signs of something preferred but not being risked.” What am I willing to risk? Am I willing to stand up if I am the only one taking a risk? What answers do I give to others wanting change but fearing risk? Only questions tonight – no answers. Advice anyone?

Editing the post - This question is central to personal change as it is to professional change. What am I willing to risk?

What Worked for Me Today
Seeking the advice of other professionals.

Minutia
“Are You Complaining Your Way Through Life” by Russell Bishop

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/russell-bishop/are-you-complaining-your_b_498442.html

1 comment:

  1. Karen, just had to say that your blog is far more thought-provoking than mine. Brava!

    ReplyDelete