Friday, March 26, 2010

Incongruous - the two KAS

in·con·gru·ous
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)in-ˈkäŋ-grə-wəs\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Late Latin incongruus, from Latin in- + congruus congruous
Date: 1611
: lacking congruity: as a : not harmonious : incompatible b : not conforming : disagreeing c : inconsistent within itself

I realized today, as I sat at the Wildwood Café, that I have many things I want to do. That may not sound unusual. After all, most of us have lengthy to do lists and informal bucket lists. However, for me it was a profound moment.

I have been living in the inertia caused by grief. I have to force myself to get up, to get out, to go to work. There are two “kas” living in my head. One cries and sleeps and hugs a silly Ugly Doll Bat. The other one kindly but firmly says “Get Up. Go Somewhere.”

Today, while obeying firm kas, I realized that I needed to write. Writing is a tool that has worked for me for as long as I can remember. I have my very first diary from age 9. I have loads of bad poetry, prayers, journals and the first chapter of a book. Writing is what I do - what I have always done. Today, it is what I need to do to take a step in healing.

What Worked For Me Today
Walking the Labyrinth – If you live in or close to McMinnville, consider visiting the labyrinth off Baker. It provides a quiet place for meditation and stress relief. I have a fairly traditional belief system, so I walk the path inward giving up everything I can think of to my higher power. I argue, debate, cry, admit, let go on the path to the center. Then I sit in the center of the labyrinth and practice being in the moment (an upcoming post). On the way out I verbalize my gratitude list for that moment. I say the Serenity Prayer. The first time you may feel foolish, but you may be surprised at how it helps.

Minutia
Mind Performance Hacks by Ron Hale – Evans
This deserves an entire post. It is fascinating reading. To quote the back of the book “Mind Performance Hacks provides real-life tips and tools for overclocking your brain and becoming a better thinker.” Tips include mnemonic tricks to remember information, hacks to perform complex math tasks in your head, brainstorming methods, and communication and decision making tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment