Saturday, March 27, 2010

Quiescent - Stopping the Chatter in My Head

qui•es•cent
Pronunciation: \-sənt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin quiescent-, quiescens, present participle of quiescere to become quiet, rest, from quies
Date: 1605
1 : marked by inactivity or repose : tranquilly at rest
2 : causing no trouble or symptoms

In Alanon and other 12-Step programs you will often hear about the “committee” in someone’s head. (My brain can be a dangerous place – just ask a few of my colleges.) I can debate with the committee – creating entire scenarios in which I fully feel every emotion. At times, I rehash the past, but much more often I rehearse the future – FULL ON conversations. First, I’ll say this, then he/she will say that, then I say this and he/she will say that. This can go on ad infinitum (or more apropos ad nauseam).

This running amok of thoughts robs me of the present. It also robs me of energy during the day and sleep at night. In addition to writing, another tool I am using on this journey is mindfulness. You can find advice on “living in the moment,” “don’t worry about tomorrow,” “one day – one hour – one minute at a time” in all philosophies, religions and do it yourself psychology books. Funning thing… it works – especially for momentary stress relief.

Here’s what I have been practicing. I try to be “fully present” with all my senses. What do I hear right now? I can hear the birds chirping outside, the click of the keyboard, the tick of the clock and the distant sound of cars on the highway. What can I see (ok I have to stop typing)? The flowers in the vase. I notice the curl of the petals, the varied colors of green, the knobby stems. What do I smell? Baking potatoes (well that’s what’s in the oven). What do I feel? I am sitting on my jacket and it’s making the seat uneven. My feet are cold and I have a slight headache. Taste… the coffee I had a hour or so ago.

In the time it took me to notice all these things… the grief is quieted – the “shoulds” disappear. For a few moments – maybe even minutes there is peace.


What Worked for Me Today
Yoga Lullaby by Seylah Broderick
Seylah is both my massage therapist and the Yoga instructor who directs “Restorative Yoga” - or as I am wont to call it “Yoga for Old and Broken People.” She has a wonderful CD that relaxes and calms. It’s great in preparation for sleep. Her website is http://www.yogafortheheart.com/.

Minutia
A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook by Bob Stahl and Elisha Goldstein

I found out about this workbook on the blog below. I haven’t had the money to purchase it, but the first chapter is available for preview on Amazon. Check it out. Once I purchase the workbook, I’ll update you past “mindful teeth brushing and raisin eating.”

http://blog.beliefnet.com/beyondblue/2010/03/mindfulness-based-stress-reduc.html

2 comments:

  1. i can so relate w/the conversations with yourself, full conversations. i too am a worrier of the future and your insight of being in the moment was a God send this morning for me. I want to be more in contact w/God but the ouside noise of life makes it virtually impossible. So be quiet and listen is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm reading Beyond Blue by Therese Borchard right now. She really speaks to the pain of mental illness. I can resemble quite a bit of it. Hard times need hugs.

    ReplyDelete